15 December 2010

Preparing for Winter Solstice

What could be better than a Bûche de Noël (yule log cake) for the Winter Solstice. Many have decorated it with meringue mushrooms and wood-like grain. I was told that some people would hide a little treasure in the middle and whoever found it in their piece had luck for the following year. This will be my third year to make this special treat but I have plans to make it part of our Winter Solstice celebrations in the future. 

I could not find another version without sugar but I will be attempting it this year with honey. I am not quite sure how that will work out with liquid ratios, but hopefully it will work out. This recipe comes from my side of the family and although we did not have it often, it holds special memories of being in the kitchen learning from my Mama. I hope if you choose to try your hand at this Yule log treat you will share how it turned out; I would love to know. 





My son's sweater is almost finished. The sleeves are now attached, and I have started decreasing for the yoke. I do hope to finish it for next week. Now, if I could learn how to knit and read at the same time I would be a happy camper. I just finished Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and will be starting her sister, Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. I suppose it will have to wait until I get the sweater done. 

If you have some time to sit and read some great inspiration, head over to the winter issue of Rhythm of the Home.